It is the age old saying ‘proper preparation prevents poor performance’, which can be applied to many areas of your life including your workouts. Not preparing your muscles and making sure they are warmed up can affect your performance and puts you at risk of injuring yourself.
We take it for granted but warming up correctly truly is one of the most important parts of your workout and activating your muscles before your session can make a huge difference. Time, and knowing the right movements to perform can be what stops us all making sure we do this.
This HTK MOB workout is the perfect solution, takes only 5 minutes, can be done anywhere, and is effective to use before any workout regardless of what muscle group you are working.
HTK MOB WORKOUT
This workout uses a specific series of dynamic stretches (flows) instead of static stretches. These exercises are different to what most are used to, but once you learn how to do them you will be able to perform it for every workout with ease. Perform one round of the following 9 exercises for the required reps and you are good to go.
1.)Knee squeeze x10 secs w/ 10 glute bridges.
Repeat the pair of exercises twice. (Use either a foam roller, yoga block, rugby, Gridiron ball, etc)
2.) Standing full body twist x12
(imagine throwing a hook but with a loose relaxed body.
3.) Groiner x5 each side
(mountain climber but with feet to the outside)
4.) Groiner thoracic twist x5 each side
5.) Hip flexor wave x6 each side
6.)Squat to toe touch x6
7.)Cossack squat x5 each side
8.) Heel to groin to heel to butt x4 each side
9.) Band pull apart to dislocate x8
Below I have created a video detailing the entire workout and a description of how to perform each exercise.
Knee squeeze x10 secs w/ 10 glute bridges.
- Lie flat on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Put a foam roller between your knees. (A football, yoga block or medicine ball also work)
- Squeeze your knees together hard for 10 seconds.
- Relax the squeeze slightly and perform 10 glute bridges.
- Repeat steps 3-4 twice.
- Stand up straight with your feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart.
- With your whole body loose, twist one way and imagine you are throwing a boxing hook.
- Twist back the opposite way repeating the movement.
- Rotate your rear foot coming up on your toes with each rep.
- Continue for 12 repetitions (6 each side).
Groiner x5 each side
- Get down into the push-up position making sure to distribute your weight evenly.
- Your hands should be shoulder-width apart, back flat, abs engaged, and head looking slightly in front of you.
- Step forward with one leg to the outside of the same side hand.
- Push forward with the opposite side hip and hold momentarily.
- Bring the leg back to the original position.
- Repeat on the opposite side and continue until you have done 10 total reps.
Groiner thoracic twist x5 each side
- Maintain the push-up position from the previous exercise.
- Bringing your left foot outside your left hand, lift your left hand and attempt to drop your elbow to the inside of your left foot and hold for one second.
- Twist back the opposite direction bringing your arm straight reaching for the ceiling and open your chest.
- Repeat all 5 reps on one side before switching to the other.
Hip flexor wave x6 each side
- Get down on the floor in a classic hip flexor stretch position (bottom position of a lunge)
- Push your hips forward to feel a stretch in your hip flexors and quads.
- Lift your arm on the same side as you feel the stretch in a flowing motion and twist and look to your rear.
- Squeeze your glutes hard at the end of the range of motion.
- Repeat 6 times before switching to the opposite leg in front.
Squat to toe touch x6
- Stand up straight with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Squat down as deep as possible.
- Touch your toes with both hands.
- While keeping your hands on your feet, straighten your legs, you should feel a stretch in your hamstrings and calves.
- Squat down again with your hands remaining on your feet.
- If you are unable to straighten your legs with your hands on your feet that’s fine, let them lift off to allow your legs to straighten.
- Repeat for 6 reps.
Cossack squat x5 each side
- Your feet should be placed at least 2X the distance of your shoulders.
- With this wide stance, start the movement by shifting your weight over to one foot and bend your hips and knees downward.
- As you’re squatting down, you will want to use the cue of ‘staying tall’ to maintain an upright torso position.
- Go as deep as you can while maintaining proper technique.
- Once the end range is achieved, drive into the foot on the bent leg and stand back to the starting position.
- Without adjusting your feet, you will want to begin squatting into the opposite leg.
- Repeat for 10 total reps.
Heel to groin to Heel to butt x4 each side
- Bring one leg up and grab your foot with both hands bringing your heel into your groin.
- From here allow your foot to drop back down.
- Now Drop your right arm to your side and turn your palm out. Bend your right knee and grab your ankle stretching your quad.
- Return to the beginning position and repeat for all reps before switching to the opposite leg.
Band pull apart to dislocate x8
- Grab a band with an overhand grip with your arms stretched out in front of you at chest height.
- Pull the band apart focusing on squeezing the shoulder blades together.
- Bring the band up & overhead continuing to pull the band apart as you rotate your shoulders backwards to bring the band to touch your back.
- Bring the band back over your head to the front of your body.
- Relax and repeat for 8 reps.